Is There Mold in My Home?
Finding mold in your home can feel devastating. It’s hard to determine how long it’s been there and where it even came from. But finding mold isn’t the end of the line. Once you know there is mold in your home, you can start taking steps to remediate the issue. Removing mold is critical to improving the health of your home and your own personal health. For assistance with mold removal in Wellington, FL, contact Super Clean Property Rescue at (561) 570-3250.
Signs of Possible Mold Sickness
How do you know if mold is making you sick? The symptoms of mold sickness can be easy to misidentify as asthma or allergies. Even with that in mind, if you notice some or all of these symptoms, you may be exposed to mold.
- Excessive coughing
- Sore throat
- Regular headaches
- Itchy eyes
- Running noses
Mold exposure needs to be taken seriously. While a one time exposure is not life-threatening, long-term exposure is. And in many cases, most homeowners won’t find mold until after they have been exposed for a continuous amount of time. How can you determine if there is mold in your home, though? The best way to check for possible mold is to schedule indoor air quality testing. These tests can help focus in on what could be causing your respiratory problems.
Mold Removal Methods
Once you have determined there is mold in your home, the next step is to find it and remove it. Mold thrives in damp, humid areas, so it will most likely be found under sinks, in bathrooms, and around windows, but it will obviously be different in every home. Wherever the mold is, the next step is to then remove it. If the mold growth appears to be minimal, you may be able to get away with removing it yourself. To do that you’ll need:
- N-95 or P-100 respirators and gloves. This will prevent inhalation and contact with the mold.
- Make sure there is more than adequate ventilation when you begin working
- Use soap and a sponge or brush to remove as much visible mold as possible
- Repeat this step as often as needed
- Spray the area down with a mold removal bleach mixture or a mold removal product from a store
- Dispose of everything when you are done
These methods are only applicable if the mold growth doesn’t appear to be that bad. If it is black mold or the mold is in multiple areas do not attempt to remove it yourself. Contact a reliable cleaning company, like Super Clean Property Rescue to assist with mold removal. We can professionally remove the mold without causing damage or risking your health.
Mold Removal vs Mold Remediation
Is there a difference between mold removal and mold remediation? No there is not! Mold removal and mold remediation mean exactly the same thing and that is, the process of removing mold from something. There are some cases where remediation might be used because the infestation is larger than simple techniques can address. In those cases, a specialized mold remediation team will need to be called on to process and remove mold from your home. Otherwise, you may be able to remove the infestation yourself or rely on a cleaning company.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I really need mold remediation?
- Removal and remediation services will depend on the extent of the mold growth. If it isn’t that bad, you may be able to get away with mold removal bleach recipes you can do yourself. Otherwise, you may need to rely on a professional if the growth is bad enough.
- Can I remove black mold myself?
- While there are many things you can do yourself to contain and even prevent the spread of black mold, it is not recommended to attempt to remove it yourself. Rely on professional cleaning services, like Super Clean Property Rescue for jobs of that nature.
- Is mold removal expensive?
- The price for removal varies based on a number of different factors. If the mold is in a crawlspace only, you could pay anywhere between $500 and $4,000. If the mold is in air ducts, walls, attics, etc., you could end up paying around $2,000 to $6,000.
- How long does mold removal take?
- The removal process will depend on how much mold is actually present. In some cases it could only take a day to effectively remove all traces. In other cases, it could take up to 5-7 days to completely remove all mold spores.
- When is mold removal covered by insurance?
- It will be covered when mold is the result of damage from a covered peril. For example, if your roof is damaged by hail resulting in a leak that you aren’t aware of. The leak then leads to mold growth. That would be covered by insurance, but to be sure, always contact your provider to go over what they consider covered perils.
Connect With Super Clean Property Rescue For More Information
Want to know more about what we can do? Contact Super Clean Property Rescue today, (561) 570-3250, for more information about mold removal in Wellington, FL. Let’s start working together today!